Wednesday, 14 October 2009


It's certainly feeling a lot like Autumn around here these days. It's been really cold early in the morning for the last few mornings (and afternoons/nights). Cold as in, my slippers have come out of the cupboard and I've been putting a fleece on over my jumper by mid afternoon/early evening. Today was no different and I decided that it was time to make a pot of soup. Unfortunately, those of you who know my family will know, no one else likes home made soup so the pot of soup I make is really for me ;o). One of my favourites is Carrot and Lentil Soup which was a recipe passed on to me by a friend about 10 years ago and I still make it every autumn/winter. This was the bowl of soup I had at lunch time - yummy!! and here's the recipe for anyone who may like to try it out. Carrot and Lentil Soup 1 tsp Olive Oil 1 medium Onion, chopped 1 clove Garlic, crushed or grated (optional) 125g Carrots, chopped 2 sticks Celery, trimmed, scrubbed and sliced 150g Red lentils, washed and drained 1 litre Vegetable or chicken stock Salt and freshly ground pepper 2 tsp lemon juice 2 Tbsp Fresh parsley, chopped (optional) Fry the onion and garlic in olive oil. Add carrots, celery and lentils and stir for a few minutes. Pour in the stock, half cover the pan and simmer for approximately 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour soup into liquidiser and blend until smooth. Pour back into saucepan and add salt, pepper and parsley. Add lemon juice. I don't always blend the soup because I like to the bits in my soup. The choice is yours. Another sign of autumn is the turning leaves on the trees. Unfortunately, this year hasn't had as good a show of colour as last year and, in fact, some of our trees are only just starting to turn now. Plenty of leaves have fallen off the trees through!
Our Acers are turning red at the top. Trees at the end of our road as seen from our front door
At the side of our house
More acer leaves.
Other news. Emily was sent home from school yesterday. She had gone in feeling well but in form time had developed a bad headache and lost some vision on one side. She was taken to the medical room and was later sick. The school phoned home and Jon went to pick her up. She was sick once more at home and spent the day in bed. Today she's feeling a bit better and has started eating again. However, when I phoned school to let them know she wouldn't be in today, I was told she is to be kept at home until she has been free of sickness for 48 hours. I don't think Emily is likely to complain; I just hope she doesn't miss too much work.
Last night Jon and I went to the opening of Iain and Louise's photography studio while Claire stayed at home with Emily. Iain and Louise have put in a lot of work at the studio and it was looking lovely for the opening. Well done to both of you and I hope things continue to go well. I didn't take any photos as I felt that was probably best left to the professionals ;o).
Toad in the Hole for dinner tonight and I'm trying out a new batter recipe. If I remember I'll take a photo and, if it turns out well, I'll post the recipe as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment