Monday 21 May 2012

Chocolate Cake Recipe

I showed this photo of the cake Emily and I made last Sunday in a previous blog post and said I'd post the recipe once I'd got it from Emily (who found it on the internet).  This evening we looked it up again and here it is.


Chocolate Cake

Preheat oven to 350F/180C/Gas 4

Ingredients:
6 oz (175g) castor sugar
3 oz (75g) margarine or butter
2 large eggs, beaten
5 oz (140g) self raising flour
1/2 oz (15g) cocoa
2 tbsps milk
2 tbsps boiling water
(Note:  We increased the cocoa powder to 25g and decreased the self raising flour to 130g)

Grease 2 x 8" cake tins.

In a large bowl, cream the sugar with the butter until light and fluffy.
Add the beaten egg and beat well.
Sieve the cocoa and flour and gently fold into the butter and egg mixture.
Add the milk and boiling water and stir well.
Divide the mixture between the two tins and gently spread to create a smooth surface.
Bake in the preheated oven for 20 - 25 minutes.
Leave in the tin for a few minutes.
Remove the cakes from the tins and leave to cool on a wire rack.
Once cooled, decorate as desired.

As I mentioned in the previous post, I melted a slab of Bournville chocolate and a little butter (sorry, didn't measure how much - maybe about 30 - 50g) in a bowl over a pot of simmering water. Once it had melted it was still a little bit thicker than I wanted to I added a little milk to thin to the consistency I wanted.  I used this to put between the cakes and over the top.

Next, make a cup of tea/coffee, cut yourself a slice and enjoy :)

xx

3 comments:

  1. If you check out my blog today (Monday) you'll find an award waiting for you :-)
    And look at that cake! I have my Rosemary Conley meeting tonight and just looking at the photo makes me feel guilty ... however, I will be printing this recipe off for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very naughty, especially since the last post where you told us all about your prolific fruit eating! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be doing a cut and paste job on that recipe! But until I lose the pounds I gained while we were away, there will be no cake for me!

    ReplyDelete