Thursday 17 December 2009

JYC catch up & what I've been doing

I'm going to post my layouts first and get them out of the way. I know the photos make them look like they aren't straight but, believe me, in real life - they are! I didn't get a chance to do yesterday's layout but caught up today.
Yesterday's layout
Today's layout
It's good to be caught up again.
.
Now, for those of you wondering what happened with the pavlova, I thought I'd fill you in on the story. The first one looked wonderful but seemed awfully sticky - there was sticky stuff oozing out of the bottom. I transferred it onto a plate but when I tried to see if I would be able to lift it when dishing up, the knife came out wet. Probably not a good idea to serve it to people I didn't really know ;o), so I made apple crumble instead.
The following night Claire made carbonara and there were 3 egg whites left over. My friend, Sarah had given me a recipe to try so at 10 o'clock at night I decided to make the meringue. That way I'd be able to leave it in the oven overnight to dry out. I stayed up until the cooking period finished so that I could turn the oven off. Next morning, I was looking forward to seeing how it turned out.
Doesn't look too bad, does it! The only thing I wasn't so sure about was that it looked a golden colour. I thought that was maybe because I'd added a tiny bit of vanilla extract. I didn't worry about it and last night I asked the girls if they would like to try it. Their verdict? It tasted like toast! I tried some and could see it did taste slightly different but I wouldn't say "like toast". I think maybe I should give up on pavlova's for a while. I'll think of something else to make (or buy) for pudding on Christmas day instead.
And talking of Christmas - one week tomorrow!!! To make me feel a bit more festive - a photo looking in at our tree from outside ;o)
And one take tonight of the tree lit up for the evening. Do I have the Christmas spirit?? I'm getting there. Looking forward to doing some wrapping soon and getting quilts finished - then I'll be a bit happier. Also looking forward to school breaking up tomorrow so Emily and I don't have to get up at 6am!
.
Snow is predicted for tonight through to Sunday! Could be interesting!! Planning a day at home tomorrow to get the binding on the quilts - looks like I may have chosen a good day for it.
xx

4 comments:

  1. Rhona, I love your journal! I love how you've managed to keep it simple and it's still so elegant and pretty. I keep checking your blog to see more :)

    And as for the meringues - do what I do and cheat! There's a brilliant microwave recipe that's so simple I'd never attempt to do an oven baked meringue. http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1824/microwave-meringues-in-minutes

    ReplyDelete
  2. The journal is looking great. I'm also behind and not sure when I'll have time to catch up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everyone can see how busy you are so may I say "I am thankful that you spare time to take me shoppiing even though you know that I walk much slower than ever." Thank you Rhona for caring. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your tree looks lovely from outside and in! We drove in to town for the theatre last night and I was complaining to Lloyd that too many people close their curtains these days!! ;) It spoils my fun and enjoyment at looking at their Christmas trees and pretty lights!!!! lol!

    ReplyDelete